Surrey Satellite is the world’s leading small satellite innovator with over 30 years of experience and 49 successful missions to date.
For decades, Surrey has been changing the economics of space by providing cost-effective, full mission solutions through continual advancements in small satellite technology, applications, and services. Surrey Satellite Technology US LLC is a wholly owned subsidiary of Surrey Satellite Technology Limited (SSTL) an independent British company within the Airbus Defence & Space group. Incorporated in 2008 and located in Englewood, Colorado, Surrey Satellite Technology US LLC serves the U.S. market.
What we do
- Provide complete in-house design, manufacture, launch, and operation of small satellites
- Deliver complete mission solutions for remote sensing, science, navigation, and telecommunications
- Deliver space training and development programs including on-the-job customer training
- Design and build remote sensing and communications payloads
- Supply avionics suites and subsystems
- Build and install ground infrastructure
- Provide consultancy services
Changing the economics of space
We first changed the economics of space in the late 1970s when we pioneered "commercial off-the-shelf" (COTS) satellite technology. This process took standard consumer technology, such as that used in personal computers, and adapted it to the unique environment of space. Until then, satellite equipment was purpose-built for space travel, at huge expense and taking many years, with the result that the technology was obsolete by the time of launch.
We can build and launch a satellite for any payload under 1,000 kilograms. Surrey customers will be offered a spacecraft solution designed for their needs. In fact, we believe that we are at our best when given the flexibility to advise customers on a complete solution. While we mostly supply both the satellite and payload for our customers, we also undertake to integrate a customer supplied payload within an Surrey-built platform.
Our customers have used our expert knowledge and in-house capabilities to produce satellites for:
- Earth observation and imaging
- Securing the navigation frequencies for Europe's satellite-supported navigation system
- Scientific research
- Military/defense purposes
- Technology demonstration (testing an instrument in space)
With the acquisition of SIRA Electro-Optics in 2006, Surrey's in-house optical engineers are producing some of the world’s most sophisticated cameras and visual technology for customers’ satellites.
The complete satellite lifecycle
We can develop satellites throughout their life cycle – from design and build through to launch and in-orbit monitoring and maintenance – or any stage of that cycle. For customers who want to monitor and maintain their own satellites, we set up their ground station and train their in-house team.
We are able to offer our customers such flexibility because we design, build, assemble, and test our satellites and almost all their components in-house.
Click to download Surrey US company brochure.
Click to view Surrey US platform, payload, and subsystem product specifications.